On the morning of January 19, 1817, Argentine General José de San Martin led a cavalry of 5,000 soldiers across the Andes Mountain Range; if they could enter Spanish-ruled Chile unnoticed, San Martin hoped, they could attack Royalist forces by surprise, and pave the way to independence from Spain. The crossing culminated 40 miles north of Santiago with the epic Battle of Chacabuco.
World Class Guides
Experience the ‘Crossing of the Andes’ with the finest horse trekking guides in Chile. Our guides have been leading adventures in the Andes for over thirty years and are the pioneers of trekking along San Martin’s infamous route. They are native to the surrounding areas where the Army of the Andes completed their journey into Chile over century ago.
Ascend across the rugged landscape of the Andean massif, while camping under the star-studded skies of the Southern Hemisphere, and raising a glass of perfectly aged Malbec from your perch atop one of one of the highest peaks in the Western Hemisphere.
For your nights off the trail, relax in the comfort and luxury of our 4 and 5 Star Premium accommodations – featuring some of the finest resorts in Chile.
- Explore the Moneda Palace, the 18th-century Cathedral Metropolitana, the Parque Forestal and the bohemian center of Bellavista – all to a stunning backdrop of the snow-capped Andes, Coastal Range and 21,555-foot Tupungato volcano.
- Saddle up in Los Patos for your first day of horseback riding up the Rocín River Canyon with a team of friendly gauchos; at the border, swap to Argentinean mounts and continue on past towering Mount Aconcagua (22,841’), the tallest peak in the Western & Southern Hemispheres.
- Visit the site of The Battle of Chacabuco, where, in February of 1817, General San Martín defeated Spanish forces, paving the way for independence.
- Host City: Santiago, Chile (SCL)
- Duration: 7 days / 6 Nights (3 Days Horseback Riding)
- Accommodations: 4 Nights Hotel / 2 Nights Tented Camps
- Activities: Horseback Riding
- Guest-to-Guide Support Ratio: 5:1
- Group Size Maximum: 14 people
- Trip Activity Level: Moderate*
*Please refer to our Trip Activity Level Guide or speak to one of our Adventure Consultants at 855-208-6800 to determine if this is the right trip for you.
- Daily Itinerary Overview (Days 1 – 6)
Enjoy a warm welcome to Santiago, Chile’s vibrant and historic capital city, as the excitement builds for the beginning of our adventure.
Explore Santiago before we journey to the Aconcaqua valley where you will savor a fusion of European and South American cuisine and world-renowned wine.
Travel to Los Patos, San Martin’s former basecamp. Saddle up for a ride following the Estero de Chalaco as we spot resilient semi-desert plant and animal life en route to our comfortable camp, where we settle in for a restful evening around the fire.
Continue along the Rio Chalaco as we journey to La Colorada, soaking up jaw-dropping views of the Andean massif. Follow our Chilean cowboys back to Maitenes Bonito where we relish one last evening around a warming campfire under the cool, clear sky.
Enjoy one final campfire breakfast before mounting up for your last day on horseback. As your steed takes his last steps, take time to reflect on the enormous feat you’ve accomplished, mindful of what San Martin’s troops endured with not even the hope of a hot shower at the end of the journey!
Today we drive from Jahuel back to Santiago before bidding the Andean region farewell over a festive feast and special ceremony celebrating not only your own physical feats, but also those of the intrepid San Martin and his Army of the Andes.
Please CONTACT US for a complete detailed itinerary.
2018 Start Dates
February 17, 2018 – Sold Out
Many of the soldiers in the ‘Army of the Andes’ crossed by foot. For those who prefer trekking versus horseback riding, Please CONTACT one of our Adventure Consultants to learn more about our tailored trekking options.
- Prices are based on per person, double occupancy
- Forced Single Supplement: $195
*Click HERE for More Information on Pricing
Plaza El Bosque | Santiago, Chile
From the moment you breeze into the marbled lobby of the Plaza El Bosque Hotel, you’ll know that you’ve come to the right place. Located in the vibrant city of Las Condes, Plaza El Bosque offers a luxurious, one-of-a-kind guest experience, complete with fabulous restaurants, sumptuous saunas, and a gracious staff. Feeling lazy? Relax with room service before calling it a night in your spacious room, complete with elegant French doors and a host of modern amenities. VIEW HOTEL WEBSITE
Termas de Juhuel | San Felipe, Chile
Just 90 minutes from Santiago, the Termas de Juhuel feels more oasis than hotel. Top off your days in the field with a soak in a series of naturally therapeutic thermal pools, an open-air massage, or a cocktail at the Juhuel Bar overlooking a spectacular stretch of the Aconcagua Valley. There’s no better place to rest, relax, and pamper yourself than at the exquisite Termas de Juhuel Resort & Spa. VIEW HOTEL WEBSITE