At The Explorer’s Passage, we’re excited not only to introduce you to The Stories behind each of our unique destinations, but also to share with you the sustainable practices we employ when experiencing these delicate environments.
From the pristine landscapes we explore to the local populations whose communities we are welcomed into, you will learn quickly that responsible travel is at the core of the T.E.P. planning process.
Whether on the trail or getting to know the individuals who we interact with on an adventure, the seven principles of Leave No Trace serve as the pillars of our outdoor ethics:
1. Plan Ahead & Prepare
2. Travel & Camp on Durable Surfaces
3. Dispose of Waste Properly
4. Leave What You Find
5. Minimize Campfire Impacts
6. Respect Wildlife
7. Be Considerate of Other Visitors
As members of Sustainable Travel International (STI), we work hard to adhere to these guidelines, as well as to the tenets of our own sustainability management plan.
T.E.P. Keys to Sustainable Travel Management:
1. LOW IMPACT: Small group sizes and Leave No Trace principles help to minimize the environmental impact on each of our adventure trips.
As an example, The Explorer’s Passage created PCNI (Polar Carbon Negative Initiative) to not only offset the CO2 impact of our trips, but actually make our adventures carbon negative – meaning every time you travel with T.E.P. to the polar regions you help remove CO2 from the atmosphere. This ensures that T.E.P. and each of our guests are part of the solution, cleaning our planet’s atmosphere and helping to combat climate change.
2. THINK LOCAL: Employing local guides and purchasing locally-sourced foods and services encourages respectful relationships and supports each of the communities we visit.
3. INTENTIONAL PARTNERSHIPS: We strive to choose partners who also practice environmentally sound methods in their respective businesses.
As a member of Sustainable Travel International, we support the creation of new economic opportunities for members of tourism-dependent communities by helping to train tour guides and park rangers in indigenous villages; providing education for local business owners in energy conservation, waste reduction and recycling; and linking local craftspeople, fishermen and farmers with hotels and restaurants.
The Explorer’s Passage is a proud partner in the Planet Care Program, which allows T.E.P. travelers who book through Exito Travel (our air travel partner) to fly carbon neutral by fully offsetting the CO2 emissions of their flights. This is achieved through Sustainable Travel International’s diverse portfolio of offsetting projects, at no additional cost to you (the traveler). Please contact us to learn more about this initiative.